“Snacks” have always been looked down upon by those trying to watch their weight. Still, they are an essential part of our diet as they provide energy for those in-between times and prevent us from over-eating at meals. Is there even a healthy snack?
Choosing a healthy snack is a challenge…
Snacking is an essential aspect of our daily diet and for those trying to watch their weight, choosing healthy snacks can be quite a task. You can choose from a number of options at the counter, but not all the available snacks are healthy or wholesome. Which snacks come in healthful bracket?
If you plan to buy processed or a prepackaged food as a snack, read the label properly before its consumption. Here are a few tips, which can help during the selection of a healthy snack.
- Read the label for its nutritional information. If calories from fat are more than half of the total calories, it is not a healthy choice.
- Avoid snacks that list sugar as one of the first few ingredients.
- The portion size should provide less than 100 calories.
- Pick foods that are low in fat and sugar and high in fiber.
- The natural sweetness in foods and drinks is better than added sugar.
- Aim for whole-grain snacks.
- Fruit beverages are better compared to carbonated ones still, they are high in calories.
Planning to make your own snack
- Fruits and vegetables are good choices for healthy snacks. They are full of vitamins and low in calories and fat which certainly means that an apple is better than a bag of chips. Make your cocktail of fruit and veggie salad with lemon juice, olive oil, or vinegar as dressing. Fruity snacks are a great option if you are craving a sweet snack.
- Roasted mixed seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, and flax with chana are good sources of protein, fiber, calcium, and omega-3 fatty acids
- Sprouted pulses with crunchy vegetables
Some more tips to avoid unhealthy snacks:
- If you work, then bring your own snacks to work rather than eat outside.
- Put snacks in portions rather than carrying the whole packet.
- The best way to avoid eating unhealthy snacks is to not keep them in your house. If you need to keep them anyway, store them where they are hard to see or reach.
- Healthy snacks / fruity snacks/veggie salads can be kept at your eye level so that when hunger strikes they are the first ones to be grabbed.
Follow these simple techniques; you will surely be able to make a great difference in the way you look and feel without despising the word SNACKS.