Being a North Indian I cannot imagine my life without wheat. Alas!!! Wheat and few other cereals need to be avoided by those suffering with celiac disease (Read more on celiac disease). But there is more to the diet to be followed by a gluten sensitive person rather than just avoiding wheat, oats, barley, etc.
A gluten sensitive person needs to be well informed about his condition, symptoms as well as foods containing gluten. In today’s era of packaged and processed foods it is not very difficult to know the ingredients because these foods carry excellent educational labels which mention the ingredients as well as allergy information. But sometimes gluten containing foods are present in hidden form and might not be mentioned on the labels. So care needs to be taken while consuming any processed or preserved food. Following is a non-exhaustive list of foods which are allowed, not allowed and to be included with caution by people who are sensitive to this protein.
You may consume following foods without any side effects
- Milk Products: Milk, cream, buttermilk, plain yogurt, processed cheese, paneer
- Grains: Products containing amaranth (chaulai), arrowroot, buckwheat (kuttu), corn, beans, lentil, rice, sago, sorghum (jowar), soy, pearl millet (bajra), water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta)
- Flesh foods: Meat, Fish, Chicken, Egg (Fresh)
- Fruits and vegetables: Fresh, frozen, canned fruits vegetables and their juices.
- Soups: Home made
- Desserts: Ice cream, egg custards, gelatin desserts, cakes, cookies, pastries made with allowed grains
- Tea, coffee, cocoa, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages like rum, gin, whiskey, vodka, wine.
- Plain pickles, ketchup, pure herbs, spices, vinegar
To be consumed with care (might contain gluten)
- Milk Products: Milk based drinks, flavoured / frozen yogurt, sour cream, cheese sauces & spreads
- Flesh foods: Prepared / preserved meats such as ham, bacon, frozen meat patties, sausages, salami, egg substitutes
- Fruits and vegetables: Fruits or vegetables with sauces. French-fries (from restaurants)
- Soups: Canned soups, dried soup mixes
- Desserts: Milk puddings, custard powder, pudding mixes
- Instant tea, coffee substitutes, fruit-flavored drinks, chocolate drinks & mixes, flavored & herbal teas
- Seasoning mixes
Do Not Consume
- Milk Products: Malted Milk
- Grains: Products containing wheat, rye, barley, oats
- Flesh foods: Canned fish containing wheat protein
- Fruits and vegetables: Scalloped potatoes (containing wheat flour), Battered dipped vegetables
- Soups: Soups made with restricted ingredients
- Desserts: Ice cream with cones
- Beer and malted beverages; beverages made with barley or oats
- Soy sauce, Malt vinegar, Worcestershire sauce
It is extremely important for you, if you are sensitive to gluten, to read labels before buying and consuming processed foods. As a celiac patient you should never indulge in even occasional intake of gluten containing foods. Proper knowledge and care can keep you away from frequent symptoms and improve the quality of your life.
Will be updating few recipe options for gluten sensitive people soon.